We continue to thin the herd, and are down to the Sweet 16. Only 3 rounds until we crown our champion. Thanks to everyone who is participating and voting!
- Les Miserables continued its utter dominance against The Music Man, taking 85% of the votes. Coming off of a dominant performance of their own, Harold Hill and the Iowa Stubborn were not up to par and this was never close. Can anyone stop Les Miserables?
- West Side Story also continued rolling along, beating The Producers by 65% of the votes. Where Did They Go Right? They didn’t. Keep it Gay, Producers.
- Mamma Mia advances to the Sweet 16, beating Oklahoma, 11-9. Oh, What a Beautiful run they were having, until they ran into the Greek party that is Mamma Mia. Go to your Lonely Room and think about what you’ve done, Oklahoma.
- Light in the Piazza continues its cinderella run, winning 76% of votes versus the classic Annie Get Your Gun. Definitely the surprise of the tournament so far, Light in the Piazza continues to say, “Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better.”
- Phantom of the Opera moves along easily after a battle with The Sound of Music. Phantom took a comfortable 65% of votes, and the Hills are no longer Alive with The Sound of Music.
- This next matchup is going to be a doozy. Hairspray beats Fiddler on the Roof, meaning it faces Phantom next. No more bottle dancing in this tournament, as the kids from Baltimore shut down Tevye and friends.
- In the Heights quietly continues to do well, beating Gypsy 11-7. New beating old seems to be the theme of this tournament.
- Two low seeds will face off next, as Legally Blonde also moves on, beating Pippin. This sets up a nice matchup of the crazy Spanish people versus the crazy Harvard kids.
- Spamalot squeaked out a 10-9 victory against Singing in the Rain. They didn’t Make ‘Em Laugh in this matchup. King Arthur and his Knights move on to face…
- Wicked! This will be another well fought battle. Avenue Q didn’t stand much of a chance versus Wicked, who took 79% of the votes. What Can You Do With a B.A. in English? I’m not sure, but you can’t win this tournament. No puppets allowed.
- 42nd Street ends Man of La Mancha‘s tournament, winning 72% of votes. The Impossible Dream is just that, and will have to settle for a run at the Stratford Festival this year. Poor Don.
- Also continuing its strong run is Sweeney Todd. It took 75% of votes vs Guys and Dolls, and sends them packing.
- The Book of Mormon continues its cruise through the bottom right part of the bracket, knocking off the #1 seeded A Chorus Line, 14-5. Don’t call us, we’ll call you. Thank you.
- Into the Woods has been one of the surprises of the tournament thus far. My Fair Lady didn’t stand a chance, losing by 85% of the vote.
- The Sondheim musicals keep dominating in this section, as A Little Night Music takes out Jersey Boys, 11-7. Big Girls Don’t Cry, though, so wipe those tears and move along now.
- Rent took care of Mary Poppins, who I thought would do much better in this tournament. Turns out a Spoonful of Sugar doesn’t really help, and Anything Can Happen, so long as winning doesn’t count as “anything.”
Onward we march, toward the Elite 8. After that, the Final Four will be crowned, and at last, a champion. Can anyone stop Les Mis? Will Book of Mormon continue its dominance? Will Legally Blonde hold on as the only #15 seed left? Answers and more, coming up:
**This round of voting is closed! For this round, click here**
Sweet 16 to Elite 8.